It’s the time of year to get in your applications for internships and fellowships! The Chicagoland areas has so many opportunities for our students to get involved, so don’t wait until the semester is over to find something productive to do! Internships are key ways to meet people in the field and build networks, and those networks are often entryways into jobs. I’ve put together a list of internships, both paid and unpaid, and I encourage all of our students to pursue one or more of these opportunities.
- The Morton Arboretum Center for Tree Science Undergraduate Research Fellowship (Paid). Due February 23rd
Undergraduate Research Fellows engage in a formal 10-week summer course that trains students in the scientific process by completing an independent research project, including question development, study design, data collection and analysis, and final presentation to several audiences. Students work directly with individual mentors who will advise and guide them through the entire process. Graduating seniors and recent graduates may not apply.
- Lincoln Park Zoo (Multiple paid and unpaid internships) Due in February
Internships in the following divisions at the zoo: Urban Wildlife Institute Nature Boardwalk; Green Team Sustainability; Alexander Center for Applied Population Biology; Davee Center for Epidemiology and Endocrinology; Lester E. Fisher Center for the Study and Conservation of Apes; Communications (graphic design, public relations, video/photo); Development and Events; Horticulture (garden curation)
- The Field Museum of Natural History
Women in Science internships (paid) Due March 12
Also check their Careers page for additional summer opportunities
- Chicago Environmental Network (job and internship posting site)
- Great Lakes Audubon Habitat Restoration Internships (paid)
- Chicago Botanic Garden- Conservation and Land Management Internship Program (rolling application deadline)
- Forest Preserves of Cook County (not posted yet, but keep checking the job site)
- Openlands (multiple paid internships)
- The U.S. Green Building Council Greenbuild Expo volunteers needed (Nov 14-16 at McCormick Place)
If you know of any additional opportunities, please post in the comments!