The Office of Inclusion and Equity, the Diversity Center Initiative Committee and the Student Government Association are proud to present the first Diversity Week in recent Roosevelt University history! Diversity Week 2016: “Empowering Diverse Voices in the RU Community and Beyond” runs this week from February 29 through March 4. Students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to take part in this significant step in Roosevelt’s diversity journey.
Today’s scheduled events include:
- Campus Climate Discussions: Speak Your Truth (12-2pm, Congress Lounge and AUD 232)
- Diversity Week Kick-off (3-4pm, Congress Lounge)
- Speaker: Tish Norman, “Her-story, History, Your Story” (4pm talk, 6pm workshop; Congress Lounge and AUD 232)
Of particular interest to our SUST community, there are two events scheduled for Thursday, March 3:
- A roundtable discussion on Service and Philanthropy in underserved areas will be hosted by Alpha Phi Omega in WB 317 from 1:00pm – 2:00pm. Refreshments will be served.
- RU’s own University Historian Lynn Weiner will be presenting “Social Justice as a Means for Change,” in the Spertus Lounge – AUD 244 from 3:00pm – 4:00pm. This event will highlight historically how diverse RU faculty and staff worked together to create the university community now known as Roosevelt University.
Also be sure to check out the RU Gage Gallery’s current exhibit, “One Percent: Privilege in a Time of Global Inequality,” which runs through May 28. The Gage Gallery is open Mon. – Fri. 9:00am – 5:00pm, and Sat. 10:00am – 4:00pm.
The story of inequality is impossible to ignore these days. My morning commute through Manhattan affords me glimpses of both appalling poverty and magnificent wealth. Everyone from billionaire business men to the Pope has spoken out against this worrying trend…I hope this project helps spur that conversation.
— Myles Little, Time Magazine Senior Photo Editor
For more information about Diversity Week 2016, contact Assistant Vice President for Inclusion & Equity Sharron M. Evans at 312-341-3527 or email@example.com.