The RU Physical Resources Department is offering a paid student internship position to begin in Spring 2015 and run through Summer 2015. This job is an outstanding professional development opportunity and involves working directly with the RU Physical Resources Team under the direction of Paul Matthews, Associate VP for Campus Planning/Operations, and Tom Shelton, RU’s Environmental Sustainability Coordinator. The internship is based primarily at the Schaumburg Campus, though occasionally duties may involve going to the Chicago Campus. Applications are being accepted ASAP (see details below) until the position is filled.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Manage the Schaumburg Campus RUrbanPioneers Community Garden
- Assist in implementing the newly adopted Sustainability Strategic Plan, approved in February 2015
- Maintenance and updating of the RU Green Campus website, Green Campus Blog, and associated Facebook page, including articulating a mission statement, information on topics such as green construction and recycling programs, provide links to outside environmental organizations, post sustainability-related news, and provide other information which may benefit and educate the RU community about environmental sustainability.
- Assist in maintaining contact with associations and government sponsored agencies that support the Physical Resources Environmental Sustainability Initiatives, including: Association for the Advancement for Sustainability within Higher Education (AASHE), United States Green Building Council, Second Nature, World Wildlife Federation, EPA Green Power Partnership Program, and the Illinois Governor’s Campus Sustainability Compact
- Participate in DCEO Recycling Grant Reporting; Recycling Project for AUD, Field House, and Wabash (with 50% diversion goal); and university Compost Agreement, which provides materials for Schaumburg Garden Plots
- Help prepare PowerPoint presentations on select ES topics to present to the RU Community when necessary.
- Attend RU-based meetings that deal with the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership thru Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification Program for the Wabash Vertical Campus, Field House, and other major construction projects. Assist in tracking the LEED credits for certification and green building construction, and in achieving USGBC LEED Silver level for Field House.
- Work on Physical Resource plans or initiatives that center around green technologies, landscapes, hardscapes, alternate methods of transportation, and renewable energy sources.
Contact Tom Shelton, Environmental Sustainability Coordinator, Department of Physical Resources, Roosevelt University, at 312-341-3763 (office), 630-768-8762 (cell), or email@example.com (email).