Join RU faculty Brad Hunt and Mike Bryson for a Sustainability Studies Bike Ride tomorrow, September 14th, at 4pm at RU’s Chicago Campus. This will be a leisurely 8-mile tour (with several stops) of the South Loop, Museum Campus, Northerly Island, and other sites of sustainability-related interest close to downtown.
Meet at Roosevelt’s Wabash Building, 425 S. Wabash. The route is available here via Google Maps. Stops will include:
- The Field Museum (outside, north frontage), to explain connections between RU Sustainability and the Field as well as explain the concept of the Museum Campus;
- Northerly Island’s Meigs Terminal, to explore the exhibits there (and a bathroom if need be);
- The Battle of Ft. Dearborn Site, a historical moment in the city’s past;
- The Prairie Avenue Historic District, to see excellent examples of 19th century architecture;
- Ping Tom Park, to reflect on the Chicago River as both an industrial space, a natural setting, and a park experience.
Nearly all of the ride will be on bike paths and bike lanes in the city. Don’t have a bike? No problem, rent one for $20 at Chicago Bicycle Rentals at 310 S. Michigan Avenue. Arrive 15 minutes early to get your bike. No more than basic bike riding ability required.
Come join us!