On Saturday, September 28, 2013, the National Wildlife Federation will be holding a family friendly part hike, part scavenger hunt at the forest preserve in Western Springs, IL. The National Wildlife Federation is encouraging families to participate together on the two mile hike to get back to nature and have fun in the great outdoors. The trail is specifically designed for children ages 3-10 and offers various games, crafts, and wildlife displays. The Chicago Herpetological Society will feature live reptiles families can observe up close and the Northern Illinois Raptor Conservancy will be on-site to show off their fabulous collection of rescued birds.
After registering for the event participants are expected to be at the site between 12pm-1pm and groups will be sent out at staggered times. The site is located at Bemis Woods South, Grove 7, 11500 Ogden Avenue Western Springs, Illinois 60558, ONLY 25 MINUTES FROM THE LOOP! For registration information visit their official page for the Chicago, IL Hide and Seek event: http://www.nwf.org/Hike-and-Seek/Event-Details/Locations-And-Event-Updates/Chicago.aspx
The National Wildlife Federation Hide and Seek is encouraging adults to come and volunteer! The help of the volunteers is the key to the event running smoothly and ensuring the families have a good time. They would really appreciate the help at any of the national Hide and Seek events even if you choose one outside the Chicago area. There is a wide variety of positions that need to be filled and below are only some of the options to choose from.
Basecamp & Entry Road Set-Up
- Assist with set up of sound system
- Set up tents for registration, Meet NWF, etc.
- Set up signage at basecamp and along the roads
- Stage and organize materials under tents
- Set up/break down event signage and supplies along the trails
- Parking Volunteers
- Direct participants from parking area to Basecamp area
- Greet volunteer staff–inform them of their task/area of responsibility
- Hand out volunteer t-shirt
- Confirm email address from list
- Give them Official Volunteer lanyard
- Address any questions volunteers may have
Registration/Check-In & Incentives Pick-up
- Help set up and organize registration tables and tents
- Help those who have pre-registered and paid, pick up their incentives and direct to pick up their guidebook and to the Children’s Activity area before they begin their hike (depends on whether staggered starts are utilized)
- Help walk-ups register for the event, answer any questions they may have
- Organize incentives
- Hand incentives to participants who have earned them
- Answer any questions that may arise when picking up prizes
For more positions and how to volunteer visit the official volunteer website at http://www.nwf.org/Hike-And-Seek/Volunteer.aspx